The Victorian Avicultural Council (VAC) is a representative body, promoting aviculture throughout Victoria.
We have regular dialogue with relevant government departments.
We maintain an active interest in the laws of Local, State and Commonwealth Governments relating to wildlife in general and aviculture in particular, all in the interests of conservation of wildlife and the rights of aviculturalists.
Through the VAC, club members are represented to all levels of government
on committees and advisory groups with issues relevant to aviculture.
If your club has views & ideas, if it needs advice, help or support,
then joining the VAC can make all the difference to your members.
The VAC does make a difference
· We have developed the Code of Practice for the Housing of Caged Birds in partnership with the government, to ensure the welfare of birds is our top priority.
· Had birds removed from the Feral and Nuisance Animals Act (then referred to as the Companion Animals Legislation).
· Oversees the staging of Victorian Bird Expo’s/Sales.
· Established a Stolen Bird Hotline.
· Been instrumental in the proposed legislative changes to the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
· Constantly representing avicultural interests in the state and federal government hierarchy.
· Continually negotiating with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning concerning native birds and licencing.
Do you think there is an issue relating to Aviculture that the VAC isn’t aware of?
Please let us know by contacting our Secretary here.
We represent you and all facets of aviculture and would love to hear from you.